
This is an interview with Andy, the singer for the sloppy, fast, great Formaldehyde Junkies who come from the great cold of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Two EPs, a Maximumrocknroll cover and a thousands beers down the road, they are apparently breaking up. But as I type this, I am looking at a flier for a show of theirs in Minne on April 7. This interview was done way back on Jan. 17. Whoa.
Why is the band done?
Because Matt (guitar) doesn’t have anymore songs. And no one want to tour anymore except me and Eric, and we can just take label bands on tour and get fucked up and not worry about playing music and gay shit, just party and make money.
What bands are you going to be in after the F Junkies have expired?
Eric and I have a new band with this dude. No name yet, but we refer to it as “Ignorant as Shit.”
Skrewdriver ignorant or municipal waste ignorant?
Oh God, like more ignorant than both, but not on purpose.
How did you get on the Maximumrocknroll compilation? And when do you get your royalty checks? Also, was that throwaway song?
Ha ha, that song cost more to record than either of our records because we fucked off so much. I think (MRR) just asked us. It seemed like an okay idea at the time. It’s just like another comp you know? I haven listened to mine yet. Some good bands, but I just play their records.
Do you remember playing St. Louis?
We played there a couple times...with a real and fake lineup. The first time was pretty fuckin’ awesome.
How did Formaldehyde Junkies form?
Eric always wanted to do a band and he was hanging out with Colin over Thanksgiving and they decided it because Colin made this logo. Everyone had to do something they never did. Colin only touched drums a few times at any last words, Eric just owned a bass so that made him a bass player. I am real shy but a real loud fuck-ass when drunk. Oh wait, I guess Matt could play guitar good, that’s it...The rest had to be just random, that was kind of the idea....So it would sound like a real punk band!
Which do you like better? Your first or second record?
I think the second is much better but lacks the intensity of the first. Kind of. I like the songs on the first more, but I like playing the 2nd one better because they are shorter and I’m real out of shape. The second one came together to quick, I kind of think if we recorded that now it would be a hell of a lot better. I like three of those four songs I had never even heard/sang to until we got to the studio. Oh well we just needed that shit out for tour. Live and learn.
Do you think your band pushed along punk rock in the US a little faster than the speed it was headed?
Oh I don’t know. Maybe. Midwest rules, I don’t know. Like some fag was telling me today how only good bands come out of California. Fuck, like there are more good bands in Chicago than all the way from San Diego up to Seattle.
What are you favorite bands from the Midwest right now?
Minnesota: Ignorant as Shit, the Deciders, Retainers, Question, Off With Their Heads, the Agenda WI: Holy Shit, Bear Proof Suit, Tuff Ban nanas, Pink Reason, Dios Mio, High on Crime. Illinois: Chronic Seizure (!!!!) Punch in the Face, the Repos, Cococoma, the Busy Signals, I-Attack, Catburglars, Tyrades, Pedestrians, MOL Cardiac Arrest, Born Beat? There is great shit in Winnipeg...Under Pressure, Born Bad, Neon Blitz

No comments:
Post a Comment